View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I do not think your remote for the TV will work with a plug in DVD player. You have to manually turn it on and off. (for $40 I would not expect much in the way of flexibility).

Look it up online... Coby makes many types and see if any info there is helpful.
Mrs. D.

It's a Coby 210 dvd player. Comes with it's own remote. That's the remote I was talking about.

The first time I tried to play a dvd in it (when I had the wrong inputs in), I got a scrambled signal. Oh, the input channel on the tv is set to Line 2 (that's for DVD). I knew this because that's the only way I could see anything (after I put in the disc). So even though I got lines, I knew this was the input channel I had to choose to view any dvd.

Line 1 got nothing, and Line 3 is where the Direct tv comes in loud and clear.

So after pressing the input button on the tv, I know I should be able to view a dvd (that is if the dvd player is working).

Well, after I took out the red, white and yellow things, and correctly put them where they were supposed to be, I plugged the dvd player back in. I inserted a dvd and nothing worked.

And I know it's the dvd player because when I opened the lid, the disc was not spinning (to slow down to stop).

The first time I used it, (even though I never saw a picture), the dvd player was SPINNING.

After that, no matter what dvd I put in the player, it did not spin. So that means it's not reading the dvd.

The red light is on, so I know the power is on.

I aimed the remote at the player (it's supposed to do auto-play) but I figured, hey, it comes with a remote (with batteries), that did nothing.

So I manually tried to make it play a dvd.

Nothing.

So I went to the local video store, and asked them. They said 'This is a very cheap player (it retails for $26.00 online). They said 'you need a better one.

Yeah I know this.

But it was free. I'm going to have to send it back.

What a bummer.

All I wanted for Christmas was to see Avatar. Can't play it on my computer, I CAN play it on my portable dvd player, but I just wanted to play it on the living room tv so Alan and I can watch.

Oh, one more thing. VERIZON DSL stinks. They have been to my house 2 times in two weeks. They were supposed to come yesterday to determine why my dsl signal keeps going out on me.

They sent me a new modem in the mail. That was about 3 weeks ago. They checked the lines, they told me they checked this, that it was the port from the Central Office, they changed that. They told me this and that.

We waited all day yesterday (and they called 3 times telling me "The guy is coming"

No guy came.

I am thinking very seriously about switching to Optimum Online.

I mean, this is ridiculous (and kind of scary)

To have to depend on Verizon (and they are not reliable).

I wish we could go back to the old days when tv was free.

I really do.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote