View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 05:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogga View Post
Hey Mike,

How's it going? You're in CA aren't you? hope you're not flooded :S. I'm waiting for an appointment with Candy and am going to discuss the whole thing with her and so fingers crossed.. my neurologist from Kings put me in touch with their neurosurgeon who refused to operate. I've got a referral to Frenchay in Bristol and fingers crossed they'll do something, but we'll see. I have a friend who has the DBS done - it took 18 months for improvements but she went from spending 5 years totally unable to move (including requiring a G feed as she couldn't open her mouth) to, over the course of the last 3 months regaining full movement in her right arm/hand/ shoulder, most of her head/ neck/ jaw, some of her left arm and she's gaining more movement and independence every day. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Just so difficult to sort out care. I am seriously considering writing to my first consultant - who was excellent - I was transferred away from his care because my father had a huge fall out with him and because he was considered an *** by the UK RSD charity - but he really tried with me. I do sometimes wonder what would have happened if I'd have stayed under his care. It might be worth a go.

Thanks and have an excellent Christmas and Happy New Year Mike

xxxxxxxxx
Glad to hear you are at least currently getting the best available care, which makes sense, where you have to be regarded as something of a national treasure.

And our rain, although very heavy, didn't turn out to be quite as bad as had been forecast for Wednesday: an extreme "Pinapple Express" or "atmospheric river," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapple_Express, which would have produced "rotating winds" (nice euphamism there), flooded all low lying areas and triggered possibly hundreds of mudslides: each of which could easily be deadly. As it turned out, although we had a fairly substantial downpour Wednesday afternoon, capping a run that had gone non-stop since Saturday, the predicted confluence with another weather system didn't play out as had been feared. (The difference in tone between the National Weather Service bulletins at 12:47 am on 22 Dec. and then around 6:15 that morning could not have been more striking.)

Of course, while the region as a whole was spared, there were some landslides that deposited up to six feet of mud in a number of homes below hillside "burn areas" (up to 3 years after a major wildfire), a number of roads and bridges were still swept away (including both going into one small mountain community) and the downdown of beautiful Laguna Beach in southern Orange County was completely flooded. ;<(
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote