View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Chris, Leg cramps can be simple, like these guys suggest, such as dehydration causing electrolyte imbalance. They can, however, be more complex involving endocrine disorders that cause electrolyte imbalances, hypoxemia (not enough oxygen), circulatory or heart disorders, etc. The best thing to do is to be evaluated by your primary doctor first. Sitting can shut off circulation to the legs, so I have to wonder if it's mechanical.

A banana or a few potato chips (potassium and sodium work synergistically together) won't hurt. But you need to know WHY you are having cramps in your legs. Blood clots are perhaps the most dangerous reason and some people with autoimmune diseases also have clotting disorders.

Exercising or stretching is all well and good but if there is something other than weak muscles causing cramping, it will only give you temporary relief. Slowly stretch out the muscle (i.e., bring your foot up if it is the calf muscle) and gently massage the area. You can try a heating pad to loosen them up (not too hot!). Or soaking your legs in warm water - though warm to hot water is not good for circulation issues. Again, this is not a simple yes or no question.

I hope you will seek out help from your doctor.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote