View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 04:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sorry for delay in responding but have not had best few days but slowly slowly i will get there. Thanks guys for the questions going to start with Tara's questions first!
and please Tara if you think of anymore questions just ask!!

What type of leads do i have?Same as the ordinary leads but was told i had 16 contact points which i am presuming is the norm 8 contacts on each.

Was the surgery different this time than when you got the medtronic before?
The only difference was with the Nevro system there is no need to be woken up during surgery as the leads are placed under fluoroscopy

with the Nevro system what do you feel? With the nevro system you feel absolutly nothing no tingling/ buzzing

Does your body feel any different with it on or off?

THe unit has not been switched off since i got it so cannot answer that exactly but as they have been tweaking it to cover both my legs some of the programmes have caused my legs to return to the grey skin i used to have or have caused pain to come back in areas that other programmes have relieved and i have found that scarey and it made me realise that this devise is not curing me just treating my rsd or crps

Post OP restrictions
I can drive if i want already although i do not feel up to it yet.
i can leave devise on while i drive as there will be no jolting or shocking from the unit
not allowed to lift more than 3lbs for next 12 weeks to avoid that lead migration!
No sex for 12 week ( won't be a probem lol)
If i want to ever get pregnant again as i have had 2 c-sections i would require a general anesthic next time
THey can switch unit into a safe mode if i did wish to do the above!

Now for Rae's questions!!

Where is your battery pocket site?

Front of my stomach on left side ( had a choice of either front sides of my belly or my bottom)

Did they (I'm assuming) do the Laminectomy to place your leads and if so are they called 'paddles' ?
Since you were in the hospital 12 days, I'm assuming you had the more involved surgery technique.

No believe it or not Rae no paddles I was in hopital for 12 days for
1. had bad reaction with both surgeries to GA which on both occasiions ended up with me having dreadful headache which took 48 hours on each to go.
2. I was meant to come home after first op but dr refused and wanted me to stay in and i think this was because of my two young children and he was afraid i would do more than i should.
3. I was told originally i would be allowed home 48 hours after IPG install but he kept me longer as he wanted to make sure he gave me enough time to recover without the kids

Being honest rae as much as it was sore i dont think i really needed to be in hospital this length but maybe as it is a new unit the dr wanted to watch the results of it a bit more closely

Were you 'awake' during the placement of the leads?No this was done under general anesthic and leads were placed under floridscope so no need to be woken up in the midle to answer any questions for dr.

Do the Reps indicate if lead migration is a risk factor?
i really dont think it is an option in ireland yet for the paddles so lead migration is still a risk factor with this unit.
irljenn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (12-25-2010), Rrae (12-25-2010), ~Phil~ (01-10-2011)