View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

diagnosed at 46, symptoms likely at 41. now 56.
played soccer and pretty much not slowed down for 6-7 years with no meds, then started on mirapex which could never tolerate side affects. last 3 years have gotten to the point where i need meds - selegilene + sinemet - while awake otherwise very rigid and mentally impaired - severe fatigue, slow thoughts, hoarse, memory impaired. when medicated, you wouldn't know i had pd but have had to give up competitive sports. unmedicated, initiating movement is an effort, typing is slow, i'm tired, everything is an effort. some days are ok, 10% really crappy. stopped working in year 9, working on getting disability.

my advice is exercise, exercise, exercise. i lift weights, recumbent bike, walk/jog. research studies currently in progress on affects of vigorous exercise.

everyone unfortunately is different

hope for the best, plan for the worst. stay as well informed as possible. noone forced me to start on any med, i started when i had to based on severity of symptoms, i wish i had started sooner.

first symptom was frozen shoulder, then lack of arm swing. what spurred me to see a doctor was reduced dexterity of my right hand. neurologist diagnosed me in 5min, 2nd neurologist said she knew i had pd just from my face. symptoms have progressed from right side to left in last 2 years.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (12-28-2010), krugen68 (12-27-2010)