View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 05:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Not young onset

Although my husband was diagnosed in his early 60s, so is not Young Onset, I am writing to reinforce the view that in some people although Parkinson's is present, it does not show all of itself, for decades before diagnosis. Secondly,to mention exercise.
Perhap thirty years ago,perhaps even longer, my husband developed a tremor in his right(Parky side)foot if annoyed or excited. This was identical to the tremor he now has in a more pronounced form in his hand and foot. There have been other small episodes over the years,which we now realise were probably Parkinson's related. In his teens he was a runner,dropping it in his twenties only, to start marathon running in his thirties.This meant serious training and he would often run 60 miles a week.Achilles tendon trouble plagued him and it was after a lay off from serious running that the hand tremor became obvious:starting first whilst running. He did not think much about it and then then it became more pronounced,being quickly followed by a dragging foot.This was put down to a running injury.Then,without us really noticing the masked face appeared,and the slowness.
Now,my theory is that my husband would have shown the full symptoms of Parkinson's much,much earlier if he had not been a serious runner.We are now five and half years since diagnosis and about seven years since we began to suspect Parkinson's. Despite medication:18 mg RequipXL plus Madopar100/25,three times a day the tremor is pronounced, but he still runs and on a visit to London last week he was walking up the stairs, whilst the young and fit were using the moving staircase.He stills continues his hobbies and plays the melodeon and Morris Dances. Perhaps, not as well as before Parkinson's but still better than many. We still have long haul holidays and on one of these. I asked him to rate his quality of life out of 10 and he said "Ten" So do not despair there is a good life for many years after diagnosis and by the time things become difficult, a cure may well be within touching distance.........BUT do remember the importance of exercise and a positive attitude. Keep an eye open for the non motor symptoms especially depression,which is often part of Parkinson's so be on the look out for it to get it treated early. I just hope this little report emphasises the importance of exercise.Every little bit counts.
EnglishCountryDancer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (12-28-2010), krugen68 (12-27-2010)