View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 10:43 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default symptoms of PD

Reinforcing the "everyone responds differently" to this disease process (which I believe is directly attributed to the cause of one's parkinson's/parkinsonism), my husband cannot perform extreme exercise. With too much exercise, he develops apraxia (severe speech difficulty), becomes disoriented, and experiences increased balance and gait problems. Very difficult for him to judge what is too much exercise, owing to the fact he has always been an "extreme" personality.

Prior to development of this disease process, my husband was also an occasional marathon runner; in addition he ran at least 5 miles a day, 7 days/week. At present, he runs at least 1 day/week (maintains short, slow distances are now his specialty), performs Tai Chi at least 1 day/week, does Pilates 2 days/week and runs on an eliptical machine at least 5 days/week for a 20 min/session. If he attempts to run and do Pilates on the same day, he develops the above difficulties.

He developed symptoms 4 yrs prior to diagnosis at age 56(diagnosed aug, 2004 @ age 60). First symptom was ennui or what he described as a feeling of profound emptiness and loss of ability to experience joy. His next symptom was mask like facial expression, then a right hand tremor and shuffling gait (last 2 symptoms appreared about 1 yr prior to diagnosis). He started on AMantadine and Azilect in 2004. Sinemet 100/25, 3X/day was added 2007. He currently takes Sinemet 100/25, 1 &1/2 tablets 3X/day and has continued amantadine and azilect. (we re currently trying to wean him off amantadine. ) He has never had GI problems, though at present he takes 600 mg Magnesium Citrate/day, which is a hefty dose. May well be impacting his GI function, eliminating constipation.

I have found this group to be generous, gracious, kind and courageous. You have discovered a wonderful collection of individuals. madelyn

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (12-28-2010), soccertese (12-27-2010)