View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 12:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Brian....

I used to smoke also. I actually quit when I got pregnant. It was a great reason, but it didn't make it any easier! What I told myself, was something I learned in Alcoholics Anonymous. That smoking (or drinking) wasn't an option for me anymore. I had used it all up in my life. It just wasn't an option. As long as I thought I had a right or an option to a cigarette or drink, I would take it. Absolutely. If i had no right to it, or option, it helped me to say no. To drink (or smoke) was to die. This may sound very dramatic, but it is actually very true. You may not die today from smoking, but it definately does affect our health, and shortens our life.

You are having major surgery and would be very well served by not smoking. Smoking really negatively affects the healing process.

Being pregnant helped me because I had to protect my baby. It was a very good reason to quit. Perhaps you can use your PN as your reason to quit. Your PN will get better if you stop. You will heal more. Perhaps you will see some improvement. You will definately stop coughing so much and breath much easier.

Good luck to you...with the nicorette and telling yourself that you can do it, you will succeed and be much happier and healthier! Good luck.....if this smoker could do it you can!

Ann
ann-elizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote