View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 10:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Medical Disability for damaged trigeminal chronic nerve pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy21 View Post
I guess it's one step at a time but thanks to people like you who are prepared to share your experiences i guess there is a way through...

many thanks
I have been considering applying for medical disability. I finally retired from my job of 35 years at age 59 because EVRYTHING became too much to bear. I receive a monthly retirement check but that doesn't cover any type of insurance. I pay $630.00 a month for insurance and my medicare doesnt start until I am 65 years of age. I am beyond frustration and I'm not sure if I have the strength to pursue trying to get disability.
My family doctor says it takes 2-3 years to get and trails off as she speaks. My psychiatrist tells me I would have a better chance having my family doctor sign off on it. I have absolutely no use for my neurosurgeon who all I heard from him was give the nerve time to heal it will get better. It has been 10 years now and it hasn't improved at all. Drugs hold down most of the pain but they have turned me in to a zombie. I try to take the minimum because I have a low threshold when it comes to medication. Neurontin and pristiq have kept me on the threshold. I started with tegretol until it wasn't effective, had Gamma Knife Radiation, didn't notice anything, then finally did MVD surgery. Now all three branches of the nerve are affected in my face leaving my left side numb including anesthesized cornea. I have been to a number of doctors and none of them have used the term anesthesia dolorosa. Why is that? I found that from my own research. My frustration lies in every doctor I see wants me to try drugs that I have already tried. They don't seem to understand the great difficulty of going off a drug that keeps you alive to try another one. I have so much anger toward doctors. If you don;t agree with them you are non compliant. My family doctor says to go to a pain clinic. I did that before and I felt as though I was on a assembly line. Everyone there got the same treatment. I was faithful and attended every session. Nothing worked and at the end of Pain Clinic I got a certificate, like I passed a course or something. I would love to get medical disability. Does anyone know if I might have a chance? Is it worth putting forth the energy of getting medical records, etc. Should I get an attorney? I live in Indiana, USA Please help.
Meganmole is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote