Thread: Drunk driver
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 03:16 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I have a special hatred for drunk drivers.

My mother was nearly killed when she was 17 by a drunk driver. She lived, otherwise I wouldnt be here, but she didnt come out of it without some damage.

She was unconscious for five weeks. This was back in 1957 when they really couldnt do much for people in a comatose state. One day she just woke up. Took her a couple of years to recover. She had to wear special prisms in her glasses because she had some strange diplopia, and because of that head injury she's always had a bit of a temper...as she's gotten older, it's gotten more difficult for her to keep control of her temper, and she's also had problems with her memory at times. The memory problems werent too bad, but they've gotten worse as she's gotten older. People in her family typically havent had alzheimerish problems...so it's weird for people on her side of the family to deal with her. They dont have the experience for it.

My mom also has some problems with her back and legs and knees from the accident. She didnt have any broken bones (surprising) but she's had a lot of problems with back pain that they said could be traced back to that accident.

Guy that hit her was in an old pickup...my mom was in a car that was on the side of the road. It was a friend of her's car, they were having some car problems and my mom stayed in the car while her friend went to talk to some other friends that had stopped to help them with the car. Drunk came over the hill, (think) he crossed the center line and slammed into the car my mom was in on the side of the road. She got thrown out of the car and across the road. Had a contra-coup concussion. (basically means that her brain got hit twice...or more)

I really hate drunk drivers.

My hometown (Omaha, NE) has been having a big problem with drunk drivers killing people lately. Recently a guy from Omaha got drunk and was driving on the interstate in Iowa and hit FOUR motorcyclists (two from Omaha) and killed all four of them.

Another drunk putz hit a car this summer being driven by a local doctor (co-worker of my dad) and killed him and injured his two sons that were in the car with him. That accident happened at EIGHT AM! The doctor that died, was driving one of his kids to school for his first day of school. The drunk guy said he'd had a "couple of drinks" the night before, but that he wasnt drunk when the accident happened. (his blood alcohol was off the charts)

That drunk was in the hospital for awhile and I know some of the people who work at that hospital in the kitchen. They told me that when they'd deliver his food, he was constantly ordering pie and acting as if his stay in the hospital was a vacation. Said he was mad that they wouldnt let him go home, and he has no money, so the state was paying for his medical care because he was arrested and under guard...so he was going to take advantage of the government paying for his medical care. Ordered pie like it was going out of style. He gained a ton of weight while he was in the hospital. I hope that jerk dies of a heart attack or that he develops diabetes and loses a kidney or two.

People like that, with no apparent remorse for what they've done. Makes you wish the drunk died in the accident and that the people he/she/they killed had lived.

There have been so many drunk driver accidents in Omaha lately, most of them resulting in the death of some innocent victim. I'm half afraid to go out on the road anymore.

I think drunks should go directly to jail if they cause an injury or death. Life imprisonment especially if they caused a death...with hard labor.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (12-28-2010), Jappy (12-28-2010), NeuroNixed Craig (12-28-2010), SallyC (12-28-2010)