Thread: sunglasses?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Welcome to neuroTalk, Sorry to hear of your daughter's struggles.

The sunglasses are fine. She needs to give her brain rest from over-stimulation.

She is still in the very early stage of a concussion. Try to help her be patient and stressfree so her brain can heal.

When her brain reacts to a situation, it is simply saying, That situation was more than I can handle at this time. The brain is not like a muscle. Muscles can heal while under moderate stress or even exercise. Brains need rest and plenty of it.

If the imaging studies are normal, further diagnostics are not likely to help. Only a neuro-psychological assessment will show much. Normal EEG's and such will not be much help. A qEEG reviewed by an experience clinician may show the dysfunction but will not help with treatment.

I am surprised at the stepping up of the dosage of gabapentin. It is usually very easily tolerated at a therapeutic level. I have never heard of it being used for head ache but am not surprised if it helps. I take gabapentin to help my brain relax and then take Tylenol for the headaches.

Her struggles may also be caused by upper neck/cervical injuries. An Upper Cervical Chiropractor may be helpful. NUCCA.org or atlasorthagonality.com has lists of chiros. Many generic chiros will tend to be too aggressive with the upper cervical area.

Regarding light sensitivity, I have been sensitive to bright light for decades. Wearing tinted lenses and brimmed hats helps me focus on the important things. Otherwise, the bright light tends to distract me.

Your daughter is going through a common progression of Post Concussion symptoms. The delayed onset is classic Post Concussion.

I'm curious. What dose of gabapentin is she targeting?

My best you you all.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote