Thread: sunglasses?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

kikimoma,

The TBi Guide is at http://www.drakecenter.com/file.axd?...vivalGuide.pdf for download and print out. You can read it online chapter by chapter at www.tbiguide.com

You need to read it and find the pages that are her symptoms. Highlight them for your SIL to read. Ask her neuro if he can get her a social worker. Some neuro-rehab centers have social workers who can help the family get on the same page.

The blood work can be beneficial. Folate and B-12 levels can be assayed and supplements can be taken to up the blood levels. Hormones are also important, especially at her age. She is in the middle of no-man's land. Drs don't usually think about hormones at her age but they can get really screwed up.

The sorting and organizing the kids' bedroom can be useful if she can do it ALONE. The slow pace and manipulative nature of sorting can be therapeutic. I spent hours upon hours sorting cans full of misc nuts, bolts and screws. The one step at a time pace allowed my brain to complete many tasks. The visual exercise was also good.

If she tries to take on any tasks, she needs to recognize the signs of fatigue. The slightest sense of zoning out means stop, change environments, and maybe even take a nap. If she thinks she can push through, she will find out that she may be able to but she will pay dearly. Her following crash will put her down for the count, maybe hours or even days.

If she wants to try reading, use a sheet of paper to cover the text she is not reading. This will lessen the risk of overload. I can't fill out forms with lots of blank spaces. My mind keeps wanting to try to understand all of them at the same time. If I hide most, I can then focus on the few I need to fill out. Is this making sense?

Check with your Motor Vehicle Department for a driving rehab program. They may have a resource to use to get her hubby to back off the driving insistence. I drive in very limited situations and yet, most people would think I am symptom free. I can do well at night because I can only see the area lit up by the headlights. During the day, my mind wants to process everything so I struggle to stay focused on the lane I need to be in. I also cannot drive much faster than 35 to 40 mph except at night. Too much visual stimulation flying past the car.

The simple explanation for everyone to understand is this. The part of her brain that acts like a traffic cop/signal is malfunctioning. Rather than let just one lane of traffic go, it lets every lane of traffic go without any direction.

The neurological term for this is 'gating.' If this gating mechanism fails, the brain become overwhelmed with too much information coming from every direction at once. Think of the days when you have a bunch of kids all trying to tell you something different at the same time. You have to finally yell, Stop, one person at a time. That is what her brain is doing except it does not know how to yell stop. It just crashes into the wall.

Your daughter has two things available to her right now. Ear plugs and closing her eyes. Both can do wonders to stop an impending overload. I have to tell people about my need to close my eyes when trying to focus in thought. They get confused otherwise.

Regarding the gabapentin, I started off at 600 mgs. After 8 years, I needed to increase my dose and doubled it overnight. Then I realized that I could split the large tablets and now take 900 mgs. I only take it before bed. Otherwise, my mind and body race with nervous energy. Back when I started taking it, it was only sold as Neurontin. It was very expensive, about $600 per month. My health plan covered it so it only cost me $35 per month. Now it is available in generic and is affordable.

A system that helps me is to wear clothes that are soft and have no uneven feelings. I do best in cotton. In the beginning, I slept with chenile gloves on so my hands did not feel cold or uneven. If she experiments with different textures and fabrics, she may find that there are some that allow her to relax better. I have a soft stuffed donkey that I sometimes hold to give my brain that soothing sensation. It is amazing what one can do to trick the brain into a comfortable place.

More later. Let us know how things are going.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote