View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 12:35 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I take baclofen, 3 of them before bed, because it makes me sleepy. I have insomnia problems, at least the baclofen seems to help that.

I quit taking the gabapentin last fall. It was making my feet and ankles swell with edema. Replaced that with Lyrica, quit the Lyrica after about 10 days partially because it made me so stoned, I couldnt do anything. All I wanted to do was sleep. I didnt realize that it was what was causing me to fall asleep standing up.

Other reason that I quit Lyrica, it's apparently the same class as gabapentin and it was not only causing my feet and ankles to swell, but it was making my hands swell and other parts of my body. I had such bad edema that I went to my regular doctor and asked to have my heart checked because the edema was so bad that I was coughing all the time and feeling really weak. (my dad, a nurse, was worried that I was having symptoms of congestive heart failure) I did have some problem with my heart...cant remember what it was called....regurgitation something or another.

The edema in my hands was making my hands more numb. Once I got rid of all that extra fluid some of the numbness that I'd been blaming on the MS got a lot better.

So, I guess I cant take medications like gabapentin and lyrica.

Love the baclofen tho. I really dont like being woken up by my legs trying to kick me in the butt with my heels. Spasticity sucks. Sometimes I take a little valium (another muscle relaxer similar to baclofen) if the spasticity is really annoying.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote