View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Yes, the thirties... can be deadly in fact.

Our neighbor's daughter, had her wisdom teeth out one day.
Back then the rule was fasting before the surgery---that has changed when my son had it done---- for this reason==

She came home and slept off the anesthetics and did not drink anything. (I had yogurt smoothies for my son all that day when his teeth were done recently).

Well, at dinnertime (around 7pm) her sister came running over screaming...
That J was having a seizure in the shower. I ran up there and she was in a bad way. Both parents had gone out to dinner with another couple. (J was about 15-16). So I called EMS and had the sister put a nightgown on J while we were waiting.
By the time EMS came she was unconscious. So the sister and I tried to find the parents...no easy task. The decision was made to take her to the ER...since the EMTs said her glucose was 35. They started an IV and took her away. Kept her for 10 hrs.

The upshot? The parents who were friends of ours, got mad at us for called EMS etc. They were mad that their dinner was spoiled etc! Can you imagine???? And even when explained to...didn't understand the deadly risk J was in! I rather stepped away from them over time, because of their silly mindsets about other things as well.

J could have hit her head when she fell and seized, and incurred a head injury...which is one thing the ER looked for. People die in their bathrooms this way. My husband's mother died at 45 by hitting her head in the bathroom!

This young healthy girl was not pre-diabetic but must have had some blood pressure problems in addition to the very low glucose. Mixed with the dental anesthetic...she had a severe reaction. When my son had his wisdom teeth out, they were very adamant to have a light breakfast before, and continued liquid or easy to eat food during the day after. So we had yogurt smoothies and ice cream, pudding for him that first day to keep his blood sugar up.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote