View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I use a nutrition bar at night. (I have Zone strawberry bars). But I don't need it every night. I also have Nature Valley Sweet/salty nut bars ...they are about 170 cal and very nutty and hold me for hours.. a little less expensive than the Zone's. I get my Zone's at WalMart or Target.

If I eat a high protein dinner, with some fat in it, often I won't need the snack at 2-4 am.

If I skip dinner, which I sometimes do...I definitely need the snack. Anything sweet at this time, will throw you off during sleep. Waking up can be low blood sugar, but not always.

You can try some nuts or cheese before bedtime too. That can help.

I think people eat sweet things as a therapeutic intervention.
The sugar gives a quick lift, and unfortunately a crash later.
Where I used to work, the people there drank those huge Arizona teas, with all that sugar in them, Mountain Dews, and ate candy all day long! It was sickening to watch!

There are special diabetic bars made with cornstarch in them, to help with nocturnal hypoglycemia--they are digested SLOWLY-- and are called Glucerna. I'd avoid the juice....it will just rebound you.

Glucerna also comes in a liquid:

http://glucerna.com/

One internist I used to know well, who was taking both metformin and injectable insulin for her type II, really liked the Glucerna ... we always had 2 6pks of the liquid for her on hand. I find it a bit carby for myself, and have better luck with the balanced nutrition bars. Glucerna also costs more $$.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 12-29-2010 at 02:15 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote