View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I'm with concussedinPA. I have ear plugs stashed everywhere. My wife always has a set handy if I don't have quick access. Over the past many years, we have both learned to avoid the environments where sound is an issue. If she wants me to be with her where sound is an issue, she will ask if I think it will be a problem. Then we bring ear plugs anyway.

Our society is so loud now, it amazes me how I can wear ear plugs and still hear everything that is important.

Regarding sunglasses, I have worn photo-chromatic (self darkening) prescription glasses since 1971 or so. So, I always have sunglasses on. I also am a habitual hat wearer. Bright sun can easily over-power dark glasses.

These are accommodations that are so normal for me that they do not seem like accommodations. They are no different than my need to wear prescription glasses since the third grade. It is just how I live.

The ear plugs are explained to those who look quizzical with a simple, "I have an auditory processing disorder." Sometimes, I might add, "My brain struggles to pick out the important sounds from the background noise."

For what its worth, ... Woops, My thought just fell of a cliff. I had a bit of insight to offer but as I paused in my typing, my thought just evaporated. As I say, It fell of a cliff.

I try to not let these events bother me. They are common and getting frustrated just makes matters worse.

My best to you all.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote