Thread: Dyskinesia?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 09:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default The jury is still out

Reverett said: Don't assume that Sinemet is the danger. It looks like the agonists are the greater problem

I agree! I was dx in 1994 - dyskinesia began about 4 years ago. I had not increased anything - in fact, my L-dopa (Sinemet) had been decreased. But when I started on Comtan (or L-dopa mixed with Comtan called Stalevo), is when my dyskinesia got noticably greater. I have been on a low dose (8 mg)0 of Requip for years.

I have made my own hypothesis that dyskkinesia (sometimes called chorea) is a symptom of advancing disease - NOT a side effect of Sinemet. I also have observed that agonists - Requip, Mirapex, and COMT-related drugs (Comtan and Stalevo) are more the culprits in most cases. One reason I can boldly say that is because I personally know a number of PD friends who NEVER took L-dopa (either they did by choice and used supplements, or they took agonists only), and still developed dyskinesia.

To sum it up, it might be the case sometimes, but I believe dyskiinesia is a symptom of advancing of Parkinson's.

Peggy
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dilmar (01-01-2011), soccertese (12-31-2010)