View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 03:06 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Beriberi recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
I am trying to recover from beriberi I got from malabsorption due to several food intolerances. I was wondering if anyone else had this type of polyneuropathy and how successful their recovery was. How much thiamine should be taken a day and for how long?
I have been taking about 400 mg of B1 a day in two doses. Sometimes I break it into three doses. It seems if I don't take it every 4-5 hours, the pins and needles feeling and head tics come back. No doctor has been able to tell me why this is happening? The daily requirment is only 1.5 mg. But, I need much more. I had no b1 or b5 in my body at all. I went for about 1 year before it was found. Maybe longer? I have three kinds of neuropathy.
And, I have food sensitivities as well. As long as I stay away from the foods, my G.I. upsets are at bay. I have been told it can take 6-12 months for the nerves to heal. I have nerve damage in my brain as well. And tachycardia of the heart.

I have been taking it for three months now. I don't recommend you stop it ever. Once you have a malabsorbtion, you should be on it for life. And all your other vitamins should be tested regularly. I have about 5 vitamin/minerals that I don't absorb due to food I guess? We have ruled out everything else except leaky gut. That is next.

Susan
shelmericks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
linda_sd02 (04-06-2011)