View Single Post
Old 09-17-2006, 11:34 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I read through the article and the link to the "study", which was 3 doctors trying intermittent fasting and reporting on their observations. I remain respectfully skeptical until I see some real research on humans with lab work to back it up. I felt great after my fasts too. It was weeks later when the depletions seriously affected my back muscles. I'm not someone who needs to lose weight, so doing it for that reason wouldn't help me either.

BTW, Ramadan is a period of 40 days of fasting for Muslims. They fast from sun up to sun down, no food, no water, no smoking, no sex. From sun up to sun down, a Muslim would not be able to take anything in their body. I lived in a country that observed Ramadan and most of the people were Muslim. It's pretty intense. I tried it for a few days to try to show my support, but as I was living in a hot, dry, African country, I drank water during the day. Some people made fun of me because of that, so I decided it wasn't worth it. The worst part was watching pregnant women do the fasting, even though they were exempt through the Koran. They did it because they felt pressured to do so. Then, they wondered by their babies were born so small. I didn't think it was a particularly healthy thing for anyone.

Claire