View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 09:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Freezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyZ3M View Post
Hi Laura.

Based on the issue that occurred in the past 24 hours, what in particular do you think signifies that she may indeed have PD? The fact that she stopped at noon yesterday and had the freezing episodes last night / this morning? There are a few variables involved here that I should have mentioned earlier. She is taking .50 mg of klonopin in the evenings which she did take last night. The klonopin is supposed to "loosen up her muscles" so that when she wakes she does not feel as rigid. It has the potential to make someone feel a bit "loopy". So, if she took her klonopin last night around 9:30, was extremely dehydrated from her bowel issues all day, I was thinking that perhaps her body was simply overwhelmed and extremely weak and those may have been the reasons for the freezing.

My father just contated me and informed me that they are admitting her to the hospital for the evening so she should be in good care until at least tomorrow, which is actually a sigh of relief to me right now.

Thanks again for the reply. I will keep you in the loop!

Matthew R. Smith
Yes, I am glad she is in good care; at the hospital they will be able to keep her comfortable.

Perhaps, the reaction known as NMS usually occurs in people who take dopamine related drugs and suddenly cease them; it also occurs in PWP. Your mom's reaction, sounds similar to what many of us here have experienced, it is a rebound reaction. We end up looking much worse than we really are. Freezing for me was a central part, and it is not anything that I had experienced before. Mine was even more severe; my body was in lock down the entire night, I couldn't even roll over to pull up a blanket. I was on my back like a turtle, not to mention...I was pregnant with an overactive bladder...not fun.

As for why I think it is Parkinson's: I don't think her body would respond this way to levodopa if she did not need it. This type of reaction is well-documented in the PD patient community; doctors will acknowledge it , but it is not like there is any research conducted and published. I lived it and had it confirmed by my doctor; I had deteriorated so rapidly that I was concerned I wouldn't make it full term without being wheel-chair bound. I think this pretty much even confirmed for my doctors that I had PD (I had been treated for something else entirely for years before this.

Also, some of us do experience freezing and usually it is a fleeting thing. However, when we feel stressed, anxious, or ill, they can turn into "blocks" lasting far too long and even then levodopa sometimes won't help.

Just speaking from experience. Your mom could be different thing; it will be interesting to see if the MDS looks again at the PD "undiagnosis".

Best,

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote