View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 09:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Severe Leg Cramps

Lately, especially this a.m., I have been experiencing severe cramps in my calves. Debilitating pain causing body wide sweats and vision blackout momentarily.
Definitely a 9 1/2 - 10
It usually happens upon awakening, when I unconsciously stretch my legs and feet before getting out of bed.
Today, I am having difficulty walking, due to lingering painful tightness in my calves. Coming downstairs was agony on the steps.
At the moment, I have to be careful how I sit and place my feet & legs.
I did do more walking last nite, than I am used to. We went out to dinner in the neighborhood and celebrated the new year's at a local pub about 8 long blocks from my house, maybe 1/2-3/4 mile. Walked back about 1:30 a.m. The walk back is mostly on an uphill grade - it was an effort.
It was a long nite for me, but my wife was enjoying herself so much, I didn't want to play 'stick in the mud'.

Aside from just plain old PN pain, is there anything I can do to help alleviate these occasional cramps? Magnesium supplement? Something? They are becoming more frequent, lately.

They are a painful,sudden, attack causing severe tightness in my calves from my ankles to my knees. The entire back of my leg seizes up and feels as if it has contracted into a hard knot. The pain is excruciating and can last from 10 or 15 secs to a half minute or more. That seems like forever when it happens.