View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 04:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, thanks for responding. I also found that light sensitivity has got better too, but the noise sensitivity a lot worse.........tinnitus is very normal and this pretty much completely went several months after my first injury.

The holidays are noisy and stressful! I tried going to a show on boxing day and had to leave, it was unbearable! My sense is that this will ease over time. Certainly my noise sensitivity completely resolved after my first injury...........

In terms of how long it took to get over my first injury, I would say that things were pretty difficult for the first six months, and then some quite rapid improvements came. I started a relationship nine months after the injury and apart from the occasional headache and some fatigue, I was pretty much back to normal. But I would also say that I continued to improve and get better and better, even in the third year.

As I am writing this I am feeling more hopeful!

It is really important to carry on a normal life as much as you can, and not obsess about symptoms - I know this is not always easy. I live on my own and do have very dark times when I continually think about them and research them.

Things that I find really helpful are acupuncture, cranial osteopathy, massage, including self massage esp round the neck and head. I also use a wheat pillow that you heat up in the microwave to put on my neck and back.

I can watch tv and go on the computer, but not for too long, it makes me tired. That will ease for you I am sure.......

Another thing that really helps is going for short walks and looking at the world around me - we get very inward looking when we are ill............

You will get much better, 4 months is quite early on for a concussion. The brain takes a while to heal. My doctor explained that it gets bruised and takes quite a while to heal.

It's important to remind yourself that this is temporary, and you will get much better.

Before I had this second injury, I was dancing, partying, travelling, having late nights, etc, etc.

A book that really helps me is Brainlash by Gail Denton. Gail also offers telephone counselling sessions - I have had a couple and they have been really helpful. Gail suffered a concussion herself many years ago.

Let me know how you get on!

Oh and by the way, rest is incredibly important for the brain, so if your brain is telling you it's tired, it's good to listen, and just rest. This element of recovery is very tedious, but the brain can't heal if we continually use it!

All the best

Can you watch tv or go on the computer?? I can't ..get this weird feeling and then back of head hurts. I'm writing this via my blackberry[/QUOTE]
UKgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Uk PCS Accountant (10-10-2012)