View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default Elderly Mom with end Parkinson's has choking problems

My 89 year old mother was diagnosed with Parkinsons 5 years ago. She has weakness and tremors and walks with a cane but the disease has mainly affected her throat. We first noticed that she had slurred speech. At this point she has a feeding tube (for 6 months now) but still likes to (says she needs to) take some liquid by mouth. She stays with thicker liquids. My concern and the reason I'm here is she has been having frequent choking spells (whether or not she takes liquid by mouth). Of course, they scare her and the rest of us too. She's had the swallow study and various exercises to do. She's not very co operative about the exercises any more saying they don't help anyway (which she says via a dry erase board because we are no longer able to understand 99 percent of what she says orally). Her mind is sharp, her attitude and appreciation of life great. She has told us if she chokes and her heart stops, no resuscitation but she's also said she's willing to try whatever to avoid or overcome these choking spells too. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to help her, what to do for her and what she might still be able to do for herself? We realize it's end stage but she's not ready to give up and neither are we. Hope is important. Is there surgery or anything to keep her throat clear and her comfortable?
Jumage is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote