View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

No need to be sorry ... I'm only too happy to help if I can!

One reason for being put on the antibiotic prior to the extractions is to reduce the level of inflammation. Even a slight reduction is helpful. Another reason is because the bacteria from an infection alters the pH in the jawbone creating a very acid environment.... local anesthetic is very pH sensitive so when it's injected into an acid environment, the nerve fibers are not receptive to it. Which means the anesthetic will be less effective. So the antibiotic works to reduce the acidity so the anesthetic is more effective. Those are the two main reasons for prescribing a pre op antibiotic for tooth extractions. The medication will not cure the infection alone.. the teeth have to be removed.

How many days have you been on the penicillin? It takes 48 hours for an oral antibiotic to penetrate the cell membrane that surrounds the infection. So you wouldn't see any improvement prior to 48 hours. However, if it has been longer than that and you see no change or the swelling is increasing, then you need to call your dentist for either a different antibiotic or he may need to see you sooner.

The antibiotic Clindamycin is frequently prescribed for mandibular (lower jaw) infections when penicillin is not effective. Sometimes it is the first choice of antibiotics depending on the type and severity of the infection.

Robyn, when is your oral surgery scheduled for?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn6447 View Post
Sorry I have another question for you. As I stated above my teeth are very abcessed and decayed, My jaw is swollen and very tender to the touch. I'm on penicillin but it hasn't made a dent in the infection. The two teeth involved are also part of a bridge and you can see the black decay all around the bottom of the crowns. Is there another antibiotic that will work better or is there something I can do to help clear up the infection? I'm not sleeping eating or talking because the pain is soooo bad. My dentist isn't helping so I need some ideas to throw at him. Thanks again!
Robyn
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote