Thread: Newly diagnosed
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 10:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Newly diagnosed

Hi, I'm 41 years old and was diagnosed in December with Parkinson's disease. As I look back I see some early signs going back a long way, like slowed movements. But I didn't really start to notice troubling symptoms until about 9 months ago. It started with an involuntary lifting of my left index finger and has progressed to weakness in my hands and arms, trouble with coordination (like buttoning buttons and brushing my teeth!) My symptoms are more annoying than disabling right now. I'm still able to work and to drive and to cook dinner for my family and all the other things I could do before my diagnosis. From what I hear I am pretty lucky with my diagnosis. It took about 6 months and 6 doctors--I've heard it can take a lot more to pin this thing down. I'm glad there is an online community like this one available because the day I was diagnosed, my wife (YogaLife on this forum) and I felt pretty alone with this. I'm looking for advice along the way and for friends who can share this experience with me. As it stands there are no Young Onset PD groups in the Dallas area and I am feeling alone. My wife and I hope to start a group but that could take a while. In the meantime I want to make friends with people that know what it is like to be in fear of early retirement and losing their youth prematurely. I look forward to meeting you ALL but if you were diagnosed with PD under 50 please add me as a friend or PM me.
YogaHealth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote