Thread: Spine
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in Ohio View Post
I have had three of these blocks with very short term results. Mine were placed high in the neck, and I did have what was called a rare complication. It was a spinal fluid headache and it was the mother of all headaches. My doctor had me go to the ER for a head scan and blood pressure monitoring, and I finally had my son help drag me out against MA because they treated me so badly and I couldn't take the noise. The headache lasted about a week and I was in bed with it for three days. I wish you luck with your blocks, and I do need to mention that I had treatment resistant RSD for a long time. Good luck, Lisa
Sarcasm,

I would assume what others said is correct, that you have been diagnosed with RSD, otherwise spinal blocks (not sure what type you are talking about) for a foot problem makes no sense.

Abasaki is spot on, that lumbar sympathetic blocks (for lower extremity RSD) are done under fluorscopic guidance. In so far as headaches are concerned as suggested by others, a lumbar sympathetic block is targeted at the sympathetic plexus, which is outside of but adjacent to the spine (I am not positive but damned near certain). It is not within the central canal or encased within the vertebra so accidental puncture of the thecal sac and resultant "epidural headache" is not a concern.

Don't get me wrong, it is still a somewhat invasive procedure as it punctures the skin!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (01-03-2011), loretta (01-07-2011)