View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 07:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default peanuts for catamenial epilepsy?

I have a question. It's been several years since I really researched seizure info, although I'm kinda back at it and am finding there's a lot more info out there now. Some that helps and some that confuses.....

A question about something I'm confused about.....a long time ago, I picked up advice from here about how to raise progesterone levels for people who have catamenial epilepsy. The most obvious was the progesterrone-only bcpill, which I went on and it helped (but not on it now). Another way was to eat peanuts. I used to eat peanuts and/or cook with peanut oil. I guess I used to cook with peanut oil. But within the last months, I developed a taste for peanuts, which I thought was due to my salt craving (another issue altogether due either to adrenal insufficiency or my new diagnosis of dysautonomia). Anyway, there are times when I eat peanuts like crazy. However, a few times I have noticed that my seizure threshold is unnaturally low, like last night (awful!).

When I tried researching the peanut angle, I was coming up with sites that claimed that peanuts themselves also had pro-estrogen effects.....?! Anybody know anything about this? Today my period is going to start, so usually I'm in the clear, but it would make sense that eating something with even a mild pro-estrogen effect could put me back into the danger zone right now.

Thanks!
Friedbrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote