Thread: Newly diagnosed
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 10:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Yoga ...

your story sounds very much like my own, I was dx'ed at 40, took around six months to confirm due to age, finally confirmed with a DAT scan.

I worked post dx for around four years, I had a very stressful job and just couldn't last any longer, your job may be different and you may last longer. Financial planning is everything now, you have a relatively slow progressive disease (not like other conditions where you are working one day and unable to the next), you have a few years to plan and these are the most important years of your life to date. Forget the romantics, money planning for post work is vital, one thing you learn about PD, love and fresh air do not get you far. One thing is pretty sure, you will be giving up work earlier than you planned so be realistic.

Now is a very difficult time for you, as the years roll on you will accept PD and not look every day at the interweb hoping for a silver bullet. There is a lot of good stuff out there but the time to market is tortuous.

I agree with Soccer, exercise is as proven as anything in the crazy world of PD to have benefits, remember if you don't use it you will lose it so get to the gym and on the treadmill and lifting weights. You may shake but at least you will be in shape when you explain you have PD and are not an alcoholic. That is another point, despite MJF people still think only your grandad or the Pope get PD, you are too young, so any shakes in (for example) a shopping queue will not be viewed sympathetically. You have to ignore this.

Avoid stress, read this forum, it is the best on the web, and live your life. I am now 48, 8 years into my PD, I still drive, exercise, and if someone had offered me where I am today, 8 years ago at dx, I would have snapped their hand off.

Take care,
Neil.
aftermathman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
gaykir (01-03-2011), soccertese (01-03-2011)