View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

There are many was the brain can suffer without a direct impact. The term is subconcussive impact. The basics of subconcussive impact are simple.

A concussion will be noticeable with symptoms right away. Some are only at the time of the impact. Others may show up latter.

A subconcussive impact usually has no immediate symptoms. There may be a slight jostling of the head or sustained time of shaking of the head as in a rough ride down the road or bumpy sled ride.

No matter what the medical community says, these subconcussive impact are just as dangerous as serious concussive impacts. In fact, they are often more dangerous because they are often overlooked. When a number of subconcussive impacts are combined, they can be devastating.

One does not need to suffer a subconcussive impact to cause a return of PCS symptoms. Any kind of stress to the brain can cause a relapse (decompensation). Stressful work load, noisy environment, bright or flashing lights, fever or any form of illness, emotional stresses, poor diet, chemical insult (alcohol and other drugs), lack of sleep, sleep with poor breathing, high altitude (snow skiing a high mountain), airplane travel for a few hours or more duration, can all cause stress on the brain.

It is difficult to pinpoint the cause of a relapse in many situations although daily work load is a likely cause.

The problem with subconcussive impacts are they are cumulative. They cause minor injuries to accumulate to a point where they can become permanent injuries. Research shows a greater risk of permanent and/or long term symptoms from an accumulation of subconcussive impacts that from an infrequent concussion with time spent recovering.

The Christmas holiday period has always been a difficult time for me. There is so much noise and other stresses that even if I try to avoid them I still have a lousy month or two.

Now, we have time to try to rest up and recover.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote