View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Smile Hello There!

Boy have you come to the right place!
Indeed we certainly comprehend and understand the frustrations you are facing! I am so sorry. This just isn't fair at all.....especially you being so young and wanting to have more children.

As you get to know us, you'll soon see that we are a wonderful caring bunch and each of our testimonies represent all different walks of life. So, I would encourage you to sift thru some of our threads and perhaps some of your concerns and questions will be answered.

Some of our younger friends here can probably give you some input regarding having children, but ultimately it'll end up being a good question to discuss between you and your doctor, as no 2 cases are alike.

I recently was having a discussion with a 'cyber friend' who had spinal issues and they brought up a very good point and something you should ask your Dr about. It is in regards to how 'stable' our spine is. As we age, alot of us get normal wear and tear disc degenerative issues....and in my case, I have a mild scoliosis. If a person is 'rushed' into getting the SCS without having addressed the 'problem area' of the spine, this leaves instability and as that area of the spine deteriorates, the stimulator will not be able to 'support' this specific area. In other words.....with instability, comes more damage
IF, however, your spine is stabilized and the odds of further degeneration have been diminished, the better the odds that the SCS will be able to sustain longterm relief.
Those who do NOT have the spine stabilized before getting the implant tend to have it fail to meet their pain management requirements fairly soon after implant, thus they are soon taking more and more meds to counteract it, which basically defeats the purpose of getting the unit, in the hopes of being able to lower the pain medications.

I hope that made sense?

Tara gave you some very excellent pointers! She just recently had her surgery, so she's great to talk to about fears, concerns, and the details involved.
I am currently waiting to get a date set to have a 'revision' done because one of my leads has migrated, so this has been a real eye-opener!

These issues aren't necessarily anything to be fearful of.....but to be AWARE of....and to discuss with your doctor. I'd hate to see you get rushed in to this, if there are still issues that should be addressed. I seem to be noticing more and more patients feel like they are getting the SCS pushed at them and feel put under pressure about it. BUT, on the flip side, the SCS has been a complete God-send to many people!
I was absolutely amazed at what it has done for me......but I wish I would have been more aware of the high rate of lead migration with the percutaneous-placed leads. Patients who go the extra 'mile' and get the laminectomy to place paddle leads seem to be the higher rate of success stories. So, this is also something you should be clear on with your Dr.
I wish my Dr had better communication skills. I guess he assumes some of us just 'know' this stuff.....

Anyway, welcome aboard!
Others will be along to give you their feedback on your thread.

It's good to have you!
Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon21816 (01-04-2011), ginnie (01-04-2011), Mark56 (01-04-2011)