View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi p-v13,

If you "still" have an infection in the area of the surgery/bonegraft then the area was never free of infection to begin with. Meaning this would not be a new infection... it would be the same infection with perhaps some new or additional strains of bacteria. So irrelevant of what you did at home with regard to oral hygiene... it was not something you could have gotten rid of on your own. If your oral hygiene regimend was very poor this whole time, then a new infection could have started from a build up of plaque. But from what I remember, your dentist told you that you were doing a good job and not to worry about the white stuff coming from the gum.

Swelling of the gum tissue is a definitive sign that there is plaque buildup and/or bacteria brewing in that area irritating the tissue. Is this the same area of the surgery? Is this the same area of that bump on your gum? The bump is called a fistula..... and yes it is usually filled with pus. The fistula forms when there is an infection in the bone that has traveled through the bone to the outside.. thus a pimple forms as a release from the pressure of the infection.

If the fistula is in the area of the surgery... then most likely the graft would have to be removed and the site would have to be cleaned out. If the fistula is in the area of an existing tooth.... then that means that the tooth is infected. Treatment options are root canal therapy or extraction.

I am SO sorry to tell you all of this... I feel very badly that you are going through this. I would suggest that you do not touch that bump with your fingers and rinse with warm salt water to help keep it soft.

Please let us know how your dental appt goes.......
Bryanna

If
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_v13 View Post
Hello once again Bryanna,

I found your advice useful and reassuring the last time I posted so when another problem arose after the holidays, I came straight to this board.

The last post, I had a problem with some white stuff coming out of my gums after a bone graft surgery. Now, I have an infection on he side of my gums where the surgery was performed. I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow but why and how did I get this infection in the first place? I have been doing everything as instructed. I even added your advice to my daily oral cleaning. Do I need to do more?

Things seem to happen during the weekends or holidays with me. I noticed my gums a little swollen over Christmas break, but didn't think anything of it. I had my check up earlier in the month of December and the doctor said everything was fine, will see me in 3 months.

Now, I have this bump on the side of my gums. It seems to be filled with puss. What will the doctor do for this infections? Do I need to suggest an x ray? I dread getting x rays due to my strong gag reflex. The new digital machine they have just makes me gag. Is there something else they could use to get an x ray of my mouth?

Please help!! It seems when all things are going accordingly, something else horrible creeps up. I don't want to have this infection ruin my bone graft.

pv
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote