View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 12:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainedout View Post
...do you mean the attacks come on both sides of the face at the same time or one side only at a time (but affects both sides at different times) or both?

My pain has switched from side to side from the very first time I had my symptoms. Yesterday it was on my right side: pain from my upper right jaw, my right cheeks, right eye, right temple, top of the head on the right side and down to the back of my head/neck on the right side. As I'm typing this, the fleeting pain is on my left cheek and temple. I thought I read somewhere that TN always starts on one side only and may develop on the other side for some people but you don't get it on both sides when you initially get it.
Sorry to be slow in responding. In my case and referring to the classic TN pain, it appears on one side, independent of the other. But, there are times where I experience pain on the more active side, and the other side will give me a jolt. It seems like the nerves communicate with each other, but that doesn't happen too often. I also have a good deal of atypical TN pain and on one side its pretty constant and varies in intensity throughout the day. I also get this type of pain on the other side, but its not constant and it does occur while the other side is active. I find this hard to describe so I hope this response makes some sense. My experience early on with this conditon, the attacks were clearly on one side or the other without any cross-communication of the nerves.

I don't get TN pain to the back of my head, down to my neck. I do get occipital neuralgia/neuritis pain, and this affects the top, back, and sides of my head. My neck problems cause the occipital pain. There is another thread on this forum that addresses ON. You should check that one out as well. Have you seen a neurologist about your symptoms?
EE03 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote