View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 01:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi p-v13,

If you "still" have an infection in the area of the surgery/bonegraft then the area was never free of infection to begin with. Meaning this would not be a new infection... it would be the same infection with perhaps some new or additional strains of bacteria. So irrelevant of what you did at home with regard to oral hygiene... it was not something you could have gotten rid of on your own. If your oral hygiene regimend was very poor this whole time, then a new infection could have started from a build up of plaque. But from what I remember, your dentist told you that you were doing a good job and not to worry about the white stuff coming from the gum.

Swelling of the gum tissue is a definitive sign that there is plaque buildup and/or bacteria brewing in that area irritating the tissue. Is this the same area of the surgery? Is this the same area of that bump on your gum? The bump is called a fistula..... and yes it is usually filled with pus. The fistula forms when there is an infection in the bone that has traveled through the bone to the outside.. thus a pimple forms as a release from the pressure of the infection.

If the fistula is in the area of the surgery... then most likely the graft would have to be removed and the site would have to be cleaned out. If the fistula is in the area of an existing tooth.... then that means that the tooth is infected. Treatment options are root canal therapy or extraction.

I am SO sorry to tell you all of this... I feel very badly that you are going through this. I would suggest that you do not touch that bump with your fingers and rinse with warm salt water to help keep it soft.

Please let us know how your dental appt goes.......
Bryanna

If
Hello,

well, i got back from my dental appt. he wants to do a gingival flap procedure at no cost to me. is this a good idea to have the area cut on again? an x ray was taken showing no signs of infection in the tooth but did show some bone growth from the graft. the infection is in an area that is not on the bone graft site, it's on the side of my gums where he had to cut to do the bone graft procedure. i asked point blank will this infection in any way ruin my bone graft. he reassured me that it will not.

i am starting to doubt some of his answers due to the fact that problems keep arising. he was referred to me by my regular dentist so i just went with their recommendation.

i was given amoxicillin 500mg for 7 days. i need to take it 3x daily. my procedure will be on jan. 19.

do you think any of this would help or do i need to prepare myself for losing the tooth?

i am still in shock that a wisdom tooth extraction i had over 10 years ago is causing all of this.

pv
p_v13 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote