View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 01:42 PM
anon21816

anon21816

Hi Im sorry to read your post and all the pain that you are suffering and being so young. This is the best place to come to as we are all well aware of the pain and suffering that comes with chronic pain.

I had a spinal fusion on L5/S1 and later on L4/L5 and unfortunately it didnt work on me either. In fact it made me worse. I had them done in 2006 after having a discetomy done the previous April 2005. But the back pain I suffered afterwards was almost worse that when I first went to see the Consultant. Apart from having the constant back pain, and yes I can understand when you say above the fusion is painful too, yep thats they way I am now not before though!! I also had burning, tingling stabbing pain running down my left leg to my foot and part of my right leg. It is so debilitating. I too cant sit/stand for too long. I had to give up my job in the bank because of this

After a LONG history of different treatments, drugs, etc I was referred to a Pain Clinic. It took over 2 years for the Consultant to finally realise that maybe, just MAYBE the SCS might help.

I had it implanted in August 2009. I find the SCS is very good for the actual burning and tingling in my legs. I cant say that its VERY helpful for my actual back, but I do need to get it reprogrammed to see if the sensations can get up higher to cover my back pain. After mentioning this to my Consultant he did say its so much better for neuropathic pain in the legs than it is for actual back pain....Great he told me that AFTER he implanted.
But overall , the SCS is very relaxing for me.....especially when Im lying down it is like someone massaging my legs. But when Im out walking its 'ok'. Im hoping that once the leads scar in fully that then I can get it to work much better. Im hopeful as most people on here seem to have had great results.

This is something you do need to think strongly about. And as Rae said about and unstable spineWell I WISH I had that information before I had my SCS implanted. As Im now 50 and Im sure the wear and tear is well on its way

Make sure that you read as many posts both old and new and you will get lots and lots of information.

Take care

Jackie
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (01-04-2011), Rrae (01-04-2011)