Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Spinal Cord Stimulator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
We love to answer question here so don't be shy. I just wanted to say that instead of google try this link below it should answer a lot of questions. My roommate is getting one of those implants he is very nervous about it, should he be afraid?

http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/disability.htm
Thank you for the website!

So, your roommate is getting a SCS? It's very normal to be apprehensive about. Afraid? Nah.
There is a forum here at NT exclusive to this subject....it's the SCS/Pain Pump Forum. In the main menu, you'll find it listed as a sub-forum in the "Medications & Treatments" section.
Here is the direct link:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/fo...ysprune=&f=118

That's the main forum I've been hanging out in. It's pretty active and full of very caring wonderful folks. A couple of them are from Ireland and the UK.
Encourage your roomate to read some of the posts (and the 'stickies' at the top of the screen) and if he feels inclined, have him join in on some discussions and he can ask anything he wants. It is quite a process in getting one.....and part of the standard procedure is having to get a psyche eval, so in case he's been approached about that, make sure he knows it's standard (for insurance approval). Alot of people feel intimidated by this.
I'm certain it would help alleviate his apprehensions to know there are aLOT of folks right here who have them.
I love what mine has done for me, especially in that it has 'bought me time'...or otherwise, I'd probably already be on disability by now. (assuming the paperwork went thru)

The SCS would be a huge part of my medical record discussion in applying for disability. It really has helped alot with the lower extremity burning neuropathy pain, but nonetheless, it is not a 'cure' unfortunately. But it can sure help get a quality of life back.

Well, I'll go check out the link you gave me
Thank you so much!
Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
legalmania (01-05-2011)