View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 01:24 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlindeb25 View Post
Thank you both. I did forget to mention that I take Celexa, which is suppose to help with serotonin--maybe I do not take enough. I have had tinnitus most of my life, right now is the worst it has ever been and for so long.

So, about the grapefruit, does that mean I shouldn't eat it? I love grapefruit, yet I do not eat a lot of it and it is one of the few fruits I can eat.
I also love grapefruit. Most days, I peal and eat a whole one. Grapefruit has the effect of preventing some stomach and intestinal enzymes from breakng down some drugs, especially some of the statin drugs. Taking a statin drug with grapefruit has the effect of greatly increasing the blood level of the affected drug in an unpredictable and possibly dangerous way.

So, look up each drug you take at www.rxlist.com . Check the "Side effects and interactions" section and the "Warnings" sections to see if that drug interacts with grapefruit. I checked all the drugs I take, and none of them interact with grapefruit.