View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 04:22 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillizziem View Post
I went to the dentist today and was told not only do I need a root canal, I also need to have one tooth pulled (the root canal would be too difficult, and it would only save the tooth for a few years). I have had RSD in my right foot for two years now.

I went to the dentist for a simple filling replacement about six months ago. It was pure agony. My face swole up, and my pain skyrocketed for about two weeks. I do not think it is safe to have either the root canal or extraction, but I have to don something at this point. I am terrified that the RSD will spread to my face.

On top of that, I have called about a hundred dentist (endodontist, oral surgeons) and NONE of them will take me as a patient. I need to do something. Please help.
Hi Lillizziem,

I have had a similar situation with my dentist. He has treated my whole family including my mom for years. But when I got hurt my PM doctor wanted to speak with him prior to any treatment outside of a cleaning. I have had good teeth all my life except for trouble with dry mouth for morphine sulfate based medications i.e. Avinza, Opana, Kadian etc. I was taking Avinza for a short period. So anyway my dentist I quess resented another doctor telling him how to treat me if I need a filling and how much to numb me so I don't get a flare. Anyway as it turned out I did need dental work from the decay that was caused my the dry mouth, I know it's hard to believe but it happens. I had to stop the avinza. I did need 2 teeth pulled and a small bridge. My PM doctor suggested I go to a teaching hospital with a dental school program. I said what, he explained. These dental schools have separate departments that care for people who have other medical issues. So now I'm with a great school, when I have my appts. a pain doctor on there staff is there, knows about RSD, gives the orders for how much novacaine and such speaks with my PM if he has to. I have had the work I mentioned above and really I don't think it was that bad. I did get a slight flare on the right side of my face and a slight headache but that was really it. I think the flare came more from the shot's of novacaine then the dental work.

I also have to agree with Bryanna,I think that was here name, she commented about "dry sockets'. She is absolutly right. When I was younger in my 20's I had 2 of my wisdom teeth pulled on 2 separate occassions and both times I got a dry socket. It was the most painfull experience of my life and having RSD, 7 surgeries I have had pain. So stay away from that.

Gabbycakes
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote