View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 01:48 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Dwiggie,

A few years ago I experienced a significant amount of hair loss and I was taking Wellbutrin. I was going through a very stressful time though and in the end my doctors and I felt that it was more likely stress that caused the hair loss and not the Wellbutrin.

My GP referred me to a dermatologist who said my hair was definitely thinning out and he sent me for some bloodwork. He said he didn't know what was causing my hair loss but if I wanted to know if it was the Wellbutrin then I would have to stop taking it and it would take several months to see any improvement. Luckily I have naturally thick hair and it was thinning out quite evenly so I didn't have any bald areas. People who knew me said they couldn't tell I was losing my hair but I was always seeing it on my shoulders, pillowcase and in the shower. It bothered me enough that I did try switching to another antidepressant, but my depression and anxiety really increased so I ended up going back to Wellbutrin.

I think it was at least 6 months before I thought my hair was becoming thicker again and now I believe it is as thick as it ever was. I just had a haircut and I had my hair layered and thinned out a lot!

I am taking Wellbutrin again, but I have a lot less stress now.

Have you talked to your doctor about it?

Another side effect that I researched with Wellbutrin is ringing in the ears and that is something I've experienced with taking it.

I hope things improve for you!