View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 01:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by towie View Post
I had laparoscopic gallbladder surgery in July after which my right leg was numb. The surgeon said it had nothing to do with my surgery. My primary doctor told me it was shingles (no blisters). 6 months later I went to a neurologist who told me it was meralgia paresthetica. He gave me a shot in my groin area which helped for 1 day. When the numbness wore off the pain was worse. I am taking neurotin which I feel doesn't help. I have been on it only 2 weeks now and am ready to increase the dose to 900mg- 3 times daily. I feel as if the cold weather makes it hurt even more. I also feel that when I have to go to the bathroom (BM) the pain increases until I go. Does this happen to anyone else?
Towie
I have read about many possible causes of MP and I believe there are many. I am not positive what caused mine it could have been several things. I have had MP several yrs. Neurotin helps the electric spikes of the nerves and lidoderm patches on my thigh keep clothing from driving me crazy. I have spinal problems too. I had a flare up of my back about the same time I had MP show its self. At that time I did have have increased pain when I went to the bathroom but that only lasted a short time.
Cold weather can make MP more painful for me too.
It took months or longer for MP to calm down. I have learned to tolerate it better. It is not as painful as it was in the beginning.
If I use the meds, patch, do water exercise, keep clothes and bed coverings away from my thighs, and do not over due physical activity for the day it is easier to cope with MP for me.
Keep positive you will find what works best for you.
MP is a crazy thing but everyday I can get up and move is a blessing.
TAKE CARE!!!
lookingup58 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote