View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 01:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, Curem.

I'm 46, and was diagnosed last year, in February. Shortly after my diagnosis, I began to notice new symptoms, and was convinced I was progressing rapidly. At that time, I had already begun a Sinemet regimen, but had not yet addressed the psychological/psychiatric components of PD (depression and anxiety caused by PD itself, or caused by the stress of a PD diagnosis). My MDS explained PD symptoms and anxiety are deeply, inexorably interwoven – that heightened levels of anxiety will exacerbate existing PD symptoms, including symptoms which might have gone unnoticed pre-diagnosis.

His words: “...heightened anxiety in dealing with this diagnosis is responsible for bringing out symptoms that are new for you to experience. The physiologic response to anxiety will 'drive' some manifestations of Parkinson's Disease that would be less noticeable if anxiety were less severe. This does not mean the condition itself is worse. Think of getting 'the shakes' when attempting public speaking or other anxiety provoking activity - it is a physiologic response to the anxiety.”

So, for me, psych meds (daily doses of Remeron and Ativan) have become important parts of my overall PD treatment – just as important as my PD meds, regular exercise, a good diet, and getting proper rest. When I miss doses of my psych meds, or if I fall down in other areas of my overall treatment, I pay a price in terms of exacerbated PD symptoms.

I know I haven't directly answered your question (PD meds or no), but I wanted to address the anxiety issue – mainly because I identify with it all too well. Getting some control over runaway anxiety has helped me better manage my PD symptoms, and it could help you as well.

I hope this helps.
mantaray is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (01-06-2011), krugen68 (01-06-2011)