View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 02:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default UKGirl's situation

Hi UK Girl,

Thanks for sending us hope and positivity for peace and healing. I am sure we could all use it.

What a drag having a second concussion after having make a good recovery the first time round! You must have thought you were finally free of it and then someone rear-ends you when you are stationary (which also happened to me). I suppose at least you know the ropes and know that the condition can improve.

I think that amitriptyline (Elavil) would be worth trying as it helps both headaches and can give a better night's sleep. Your doctor should prescribe it. Mine did and I am also from the UK. You could start off with 10mg nightly and work up till you find a dose that gives you some benefit but does not knock you out too much during the day. I tried up to 25mg but found that I just couldn't function due to feeling sleepy so I brought it back down again. You can cut the pills up to make intermediate doses.

Only you know your situation and conditionl but from what you write regarding how you feel at the moment and your energy levels I think that you should take sick leave from work. Ultimately that might benefit your employer. It doesn't help anyone if you struggle on, get worse and then have to take more time off later. At least phone in and explain the situation to them.

I hope your relapse is now over and that you are on the mend again, but, if not, I do not think the way to get over a relapse is to go back to work.

I hope you are on the mend and I wish you a speedy recovery.

CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKgirl View Post
Hi, I am new on here, just registered. I have read quite a few posts and send you all hope and positivity for peace and healing - this is my second bout of PCS and only sufferers know the true agony of this......

I had a horse riding accident three years ago and got PCS but gradually made a really good recovery over time, with the last year being pretty much back to 'normal'.

I was then unfortunately rear ended whilst stationery just over 3 months ago. Initially I thought I was fine and then the old familiar symptoms came back.....only this time I have some new ones!

I was doing ok, recovering gradually over the last three months and then 2 weeks ago I was overcome by extreme fatigue and noise sensitivity, to the extent that I can barely get out of bed some days, and all everyday noises are painful to my head and ears.

Did any of you experience these kind of relapses a few months in?

I also have terrible nightmares and poor quality sleep. I have noticed positive comments about elavil for this? Any other suggestions?

I am doing the usual acupuncture, cranial osteopathy, massage, etc, but still have terrible head and neck pain at times. I have stopped taking ibuprofen as I understand this can cause rebound headaches and tinnitus (which got a lot worse when the noise sensitivity started)

Thanks all, I am a little desperate!

Whilst I know, from experience, that this does get better and ease with time, I have some very lonely, scared moments where I feel like I can't cope.

I didn't have such long relapses first time round. Whilst I would have bad days, there was always a better day round the corner but I see no sign of coming out of this 2 week relapse!

I am due to return to work next week after the holidays and have no idea how I am going to cope energy wise if I continue to feel like this.....

Thank you!
Concussed Scientist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote