View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 10:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Not normally the pooper

[QUOTE=krugen68;732453]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post

In the clinical trial currently running in France they go to 90 mg, though some of his other trials went higher

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00873392

Apparently he took a patent out (with a n other ) for transdermal nicotine (patches) as opposed to the stop- smoking patches.
OK, I'm normally not a party pooper but 90mg is one heckuva dose. We only got up to 14mg and when we tried the 21mg patch it made us sicker than a dog, could not tolerate the nausea.

There are cardiovascular issues with nicotine and seriously, those high doses could give someone a heart attack or worse. I know they monitored carefully and all, but a dose that high, for life, is untenable IMHO.

I don't think this therapy is what people think it is. I would love nothing more than for a patch to "fix" PD, but I dont' think this can do it. If it did, no smoker would ever get PD, yet they do. And if it did, we would not have progressed during the more than four years we took the patch, but we did.

I believe that the nicotine patch kicks the already stressed neurons into overdrive, forcing them to release dopamine. Nothing more. This is why you have to keep ramping up the dose: if nicotine were really growing new neurons, you would be able to reduce the amount of nicotine required to get therapeutic relief. But the fact that the researchers kept increasing the dose, to me, says that the participant(s) were continuing to decline and a higher dose nicotine was required to get relief.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (02-23-2013), Drevy (02-06-2013)