View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 02:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Complex partial seizure-newbie-HELP!!

My 68 yr old aunt had a seizure on Monday. She has always been as healthy as a horse, so this took all of us quite by surprise. They kept her in the hospital for a couple of days -- CAT scan, MRI, EEG, bloodwork -- and found no apparent cause -- a little bit of high blood pressure, but everything else checks out. She was unconscious for maybe 10 minutes and unaware for about 45 minutes -- short term memory issues for 6 hours afterwards. I've seen petit mal and grand mal seizures in students that I used to teach, but the effects didn't seem to last this long.

Anyway, she has an appointment on the 20th -- but, until then, she OF COURSE cannot drive. And, we are NOT letting her stay by herself. The neuro on call prescribed Keppra -- 2 X daily. So far, no more seizures -- and she isn't complaining about the side effects of the medicine.

She is BEGGING to go home -- back to her "stuff". We are terrified. For those 6 hours she was like an infant/toddler -- repeating herself -- and not making a whole lot of sense.

I need advice -- I know that YOU ALL are the REAL EXPERTS. Would it be safe to let her go home?? OR would it be safe to let her go home for a couple of hours a day IF we brought her back to spend the nights with us???