Thread: Very Frustrated
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 12:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Rainbow,

Each medical specialty has its own "tool kit," with variation between specialties. Beyond that, there can be considerable variation amongst physicians, even within specialties, in how they practice.

So, if you're uncomfortable with "what's left," according to your doc, perhaps you might consider networking in your community to find a health care provider who may provide further options.

While it appears that you've been treating in the conventional med camp thus far, I have to second jo55's question -- have you considered alternative approaches. There are many of us who successfully use CAM (complementary & alt med) for fibro, either exclusively, or in combo with traditional medicine.

For example, I am 53 yrs. old & have had my fibro dx for 3 yrs. I've never used any of the meds on your list, but I have successfully abandoned my walker & bed-bound days of pain, with CAM alone. My everyday pain is mild now, and my increasingly rare flares are minor in comparison to pre-CAM. There are others with similar stories.

A good resource to introduce you to the world of options in fibro treatment would be one of the books by Jacob Teitelbaum, MD: Pain Free 1 - 2- 3, and From Fatigued to Fantastic. These books cover the gamut of conventional meds, alternative approaches & treatments, as well as self-help options.

Teitelbaum is himself a former fibro sufferer. He specializes in fibro & chronic fatigue, and conducts research into effective treatments. Recently, he was appointed medical director of Fibro & Fatigue Centers, nationwide. His books have been extremely helpful to me, and above all, hope-restoring.

Best wishes.
SnooZQ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote