View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 01:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

To flip the coin a bit..........

I was very fortunate from most of the posters who post here when I applied for SSDI back in 2002.

I had enough years at my job to fully retire, collect a pension and UE too boot!

Prior to applying, I went to my local library & researched SSDI & SS attorney fees in my state. Therefore, I knew before hand the backlog length in my state (4-5 yrs) and I could do all the paperwork filing myself. Knew if necessary I could hire an attorney at the ALJ level if need be (which I ended up doing).
I guess you could say, I was fully prepared of what to expect when I applied for SSDI. The only surprise for me was that I received a fully favorable decision based on the paperwork that I submitted from all my treating physicians with no help from any attorney. SS did not pay him the $5000+ as I did all the work. The only thing my attorney did, was show up at the ALJ hearing which I paid him OOP ($250).

I really feel for all the people here who are not as fortunate as I was during their time of waiting. Trying to collect SSI & SSDI can be really financial draining for a lot of folks.

Mz Migraine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote