Thread: Acdf c5-6 c6-7
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 05:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ Forgive me, as I haven't had this done, but a friend of mine has, and I must say that you are still in the very early healing stages! I doubt if your doc will release you back to work yet, will he?

What I know is this - my friend told me that before he felt anywhere NEAR his old self again, it was a YEAR after surgery. You have an awful lot of healing to do yet. They won't even know if you've begun to fuse until after a year's time. I'm sure you'll be released to go back to work before then, but now is too soon to be thinking about it. Just one wrong move, or someone rear-ending you and all that misery is undone.

As far as the swallowing, no chicken, etc., I have another friend who has that problem and come to find out they put in a plate that was TOO BIG for her. It makes me wonder if that isn't what happened to you!! Now they are telling her that her problem is permanent, even if they remove the plate -- because they've permanently ruined the mechanism that closes the windpipe when you swallow -- so she can't eat regular food. It has to be soft foods. I certainly hope your plate isn't too big.

If you think something is wrong, make an appointment with your surgeon. It's better to find out for sure, than to worry about it. Best of luck and God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote