View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Not Emo,

This is a very common problem from mTBI. As you said, it gets worse when you get frustrated. The mall noise is also a problem, so what do you do?

As you know, you need to avoid the mall and other noisy environments. Then, when you have to go to the mall, go when the mall is not busy. Also, wear ear plugs. They will make a big difference.

You also must learn to accept this symptom as likely a lifelong symptom. Word finding can be a real pain but getting frustrated only makes it worse.

I have lots of word finding problems. Diverting my thought to another subject than returning to the original subject sometimes will free up the words. Also, sometimes, if I just look around at different visual images, almost naming them in my head, I will get sparked back to the words I am trying to find.

Like you, it happens most when trying to talk. It is rare for it to happen when I type but when it does, it is usually only one word that I cannot find.

Abstract or new subjects are the most trouble for me. If I am talking about something from the past, I usually have no trouble. If I try to communicate a new idea, I will have much more trouble. There are some things that I get stuck with that are from memory so I have learned to rehearse those comments before trying to speak them.

There is a saying, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt."

Now that I have learned to think more, speak less and rehearse my comments before spouting them out, I am thought a fool much less.

It may help to just be honest and say, "The word wont come." For me, it happens two ways. The word wont come to my lips or the second half of a thought just disappears. I call it, "My thought just fell off a cliff." because it is as if the first part of a thought is standing at the top of a cliff and the second part has fallen off the cliff and has disappeared.

Learning to accept these events makes them much less frustrating. In my experience, they rarely make any difference to others, just to us.

Has your family read the TBI Survival Guide? You all need to.
You can download it at http://www.drakecenter.com/file.axd?file=TBISurvivalGuide.pdf
or read it online, chapter by chapter at www.tbiguide.com

Hope this helps.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
*Mystery52393* (01-11-2011)