View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 03:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Wendy,

I've had 32 low dose out patient ketamine infusions since April 19th. I started with the 10 day protocol at Dr. Getson's in Marlton, NJ, and in Jul/Aug switched to a local doc in RI (WC court ordered) that has just recently started performing the infusions.

The biggest change for me is that I was able to get off the Fentanyl and Percocet within the first 6 weeks of starting the ketamine. I now take Fiorcet for headaches (I also have a triptan - Frova - for when I get migraines, which is much less often than before). It was my choice to go off the heavy pain meds, no doctor told me that I had to do it. I also returned to my FT job after a year's sick LOA in June (YAY!!).

Meds that I still take include Topamax, Cymbalta, Clonodine, Skelaxin and Ambien at bedtime. I tried to wean off the Topamax but I had trouble with my head. Occasionally I will take an oxycodone at night for my head, but not during the day when I am working. And I find that I am OK with that, the Fiorcet works fine. I also still use a lot Lidoderm patches and Voltaren gel. I have a script for a new med called Nucynta and I use that when the Fiorcet isn't enough for my head pain at work, I haven't noticed any noticeable impact from it yet.

The bad days and nights are still there at times, and I am always looking for ways to make things better. Stretches for my neck are really important, watching how I use my arms is really important, taking care of myself and getting enough sleep is really important. I went on a very low dose birth control pill because it seemed that my migraines were hormonally related, and I think that it has made a difference. And I exercise religiously - I am convinced that my long daily walks have played a huge role in keeping me mobile and reducing my RSD symptoms. As the ketamine decreases my pain levels, I have tried to conciously use my arms a little more, to increase my mobility. I think I've gotten some use back, not much, but maybe some....

I am really happy to be off the heavy opiods - I am so much more alert and capable! And I just FEEL better!

Have your doctors told you why you are not a candidate for ketamine? If you were to become a candidate, do you know whether your insurance would cover it?

If you have any other questions, please let me know. Good luck to you, XOXOX Sandy

Last edited by SandyRI; 01-11-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: added info
SandyRI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cindi1965 (01-11-2011), wswells (01-11-2011)