View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Right behind you, Rick

I am using one and it helps immensely with anxiety. I started experiencing freezing, but not your regular run of the mill three second start hesitation, no mine started off as freezing blocks lasting anywhere from a half hour to two hours depending on where I was.

I didn't know what was happening to me, but neither did my MDS. I went to an endocrinologist, to a new GP who wanted me screened for some rare, scary forms of endocrine cancer, and talked to my OB-GYN who was the only doctor who thought it sounded like Thyrotoxic Periodic-Paralysis. In the end, my GP and OB-GYN were the only ones to probe and think outside the box and order further tests or offer to test my potassium levels during an episode of weakness. I really thought I had a separate endocrine issue and then realized after researching that I was having panic attacks which I think triggers the freezing or is it the other way around? The drug that stops the symptoms of thyrotoxic periodic paralysis? beta-blockers

The question is what triggers what? Are they still two distinct things? I will say that the freezing that occurs in both feels quite different. A stress or anxiety induced PD freeze is more like my muscles locking up and legs shaking. It lasts a few seconds. The other, episodic freezing is like profound loss of muscle tone and feels more like what I would imagine true paralysis to feel like.

On a happy note, I can back Rick and say that a beta blocker works. I tried Klonopin but it didn't seem to help with reducing the panic attacks. I take 5 to 10 mg of Propanolol daily as needed and it helps immensely. An extra bonus, is that you can fight this without a drug. I have been seeing a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist and essentially been slowly reversing the negative feedback loop that adds fuel to the fire. I have greatly reduced the episodic blocks or freezes and all but eliminated the minor freezing at home. This is not to say that it is eradicated, but I wonder if stress triggering our adrenals does not account for variability or subtypes in PD? Is it a sign that our endocrine system plays a part in the etiology of PD? Or is this yet another sign of dopamine dysregulation? Or maybe all three of these?

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (01-12-2011), shcg (01-13-2011)