Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 09:22 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I do not believe I have lung damage. I do not have a pulmo. The issue with my lungs was caused by my weakness.
The study I am going is in San Antonio TX. I go to the UT Health and Science Center. The study is being done all over the country. They need 200 participants. The study has recently reach 100. One of the first forms of treatment for mg is the removal of your thymus gland. Neurologists believe that is the core cause of the disease. Most people with MG will have a tumor on there thymus gland so the removal of it is inevitable. But there are a percentage of people that do not have the tumor. Even though there is not a tumor on the thymus gland neurologist still believe one of the first forms of treatment is the removal of the thymus gland. The study I am in is to help determine if this form of treatment is necessary. When you join the study you will either be chosen for the removal of the thymus or for you not to have your thymus removed. I was chosen to not have it removed. Thank god! You will see a neurologist on a monthly basis and will be able to contact them or their nurse to update them on your progression when needed. When you see them they will run multiple strength test and breathing test to determine where you are. After a few months of this treatment they will bring in a blind evaluator. The blind evaluator will be another neurologist who will not know what part of the study you have been chosen for. It is really on going and the study is about three years. The study is still going and I will not know if anything was determined until the study is closed.
koilover512 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote